Living in the present moment is essential for our happiness and well-being. Research shows that when we are completely present – when we really appreciate our current experiences – external worries melt away. In fact, “me time” is so important for our minds, that we’re asking you to put yourself back on to your priority list…
“Me time” is a holiday for the soul and if you’re not already doing it, start learning to create little islands of solitude in your daily life. Not only will it help you to get in touch with yourself, it also has other benefits, like making us better at sleeping through the night, and enjoying the company of others more… Take heed and follow these 5 steps!
1. It Teaches Us To Enjoy Our Own CompanyBeing alone doesn’t equate to being lonely. In fact, you can have just as much fun alone as you do with friends. Engaging in “me time” experiences puts us in touch with our own interests and reminds us that we have the power to make ourselves happy. So, put some time aside this week for having a date with yourself!
2. It Can Make Us More PositiveEveryone gets stressed, sometimes – c’mon, we’ve all been there! But thankfully, “me time” means we can actively process our emotions and keep a stress overload at bay. With alone time, you can try and make sense of what you’re thinking and – just by making yourself aware of certain negative feelings, you’ll be able to steer clear of the situations that created them.
3. It Helps Us Sleep BetterWhen we sleep, our brains process the day’s events and digest emotions. But when our mind’s are running rampant, we all know it can be tough to fall asleep. Taking an hour of “me time” before bed can improve our sleep by eliminating stress and preparing our minds for rest, so try painting your nails, reading a book, or another calming activity.
4. It Gives Us A Sense Of AccomplishmentBy making sure we take daily “me time,” we often find that we’re able to start crossing things off our to-do lists, like cooking that recipe we’ve always wanted to try! When we do this, we begin to feel daily senses of accomplishment, and accomplishment is intrinsically tied to boosting confidence and self-worth. As best-selling author Chris Guillebeau says, “It just feels good to tick things off.”
5. It Improves Our FocusWe’ve all heard about the importance of being “mindful,” but what does that mean? Well, simply put, it’s thinking only about what you’re doing as you’re doing it. So, if you use your “me time” to try and maintain your focus on what you’re doing, the theory is that it will relax you, preparing you for times of stress and help you to savor life’s little pleasures!
So, are you convinced of the benefits of “me time,” now? Then start by making a date with yourself! Why not join Amazers’ latest challenge and make a weekly “me time” appointment; a solo expedition to a place that interests you, whether that’s an art gallery, a favourite restaurant, or the top of a mountain. The point is not to accomplish anything per se, it’s simply to have fun – alone!
- Our stressful lifestyles often mean that we’re not really appreciating what we could.
- Living in the moment sometimes is essential for our well-being.
- Learn to treasure the small nests of “me time” around you… It’s worth it!